About This Episode
Frederik Van Lierde, born 1979, is the 2013 IRONMAN World Champion. To mention only a few of his other remarkable achievements, he finished first in Ironman France three times (2011, 2012 and 2013) and Abu-Dhabi International Triathlon twice (2011 and 2013).
Frederik lives in Belgium, is married to Sofie with two sons, Aaron and Simon. He is coached by Luc Van Lierde.
In this interview we talk about:
– His sporting background and how he got involved in triathlon.
– Racing short course on the ITU circuit and why he switched to long course in 2007.
– What it’s like to be an elite athlete in the Belgian Armed Forces.
– What he learned from his first couple of Ironman Hawaii races.
– What it was like to win in 2013.
– His 2014 season and how he is getting ready to defend his Kona title.